Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What is Fasting?

I'm feeling a bit hypocritical posting on the blog since I am headed out for a two week vacation tomorrow and fasting will most likely be the last thing on my vacation agenda! But I was searching for a meaningful post to share with you and I found these words written by John Eastman that I took to heart:

"In the days of the Apostles, fasting was connected in one way or another to great signs and wonders, miracles, mighty works and doors being opened for the Gospel. Likewise, I do not believe that the body of Christ, his true church, will go forth in power to do the work of God unless it also becomes a fasting and praying church. Yes, God commands Christians to fast, and true Christians will desire to fast for God's righteousness in their lives."

What I take away from this is that in order for Cornerstone to truly be open to all that God has planned for us in the work of His Kingdom, we need to be praying and fasting. I may not be fasting with you in the next few weeks, but I certainly will be praying fervently for great signs and wonders, miracles, mighty works and open doors for Cornerstone.

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13

1 comment:

  1. Mary, thanks for the post. I agree with Mr. Eastman's remarks, although not in the sense that by fasting we are earning God's favor or his power. Rather, that it puts us in a state of mind and position of humility that will allow his power to work itself out through us in a way that we might not otherwise be prepared for. When we are at our weakest, his strength can be perfected in us.
    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete