Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fast From Fasting? (Rick)

1 Samuel 15 22: But Samuel replied: "Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams."

It seems that every year I have a vision, dream or word from God a week or so before our Cornerstone fast starts. Then during the fast I give something up, spend more time in prayer and listening for God only to not hear anything for the 21 days of the fast. I have thought, am I trying too hard, did I hear/see wrong on the vision or is there a disobedience that is getting in the way? Am I like Samuel and God is not listening because I have a disobedience that has restricted me from hearing from God? I end up being frustrated and distracted that I'm not hearing from God for the 21 days of the fast.

This year I have decided not to fast for fasting sake. I have prayed about what I should fast for or from and heard nothing from God so I have decided to not fast from anything unless directed by God. One word that has stood out in Cornerstone sermons lately is the word "intentional" as Scott has talked about us being intentional in our service and or worship to God. I have the thought that I don't want to spend 21 days again fasting and then at the end of the 21 days lapse back into old habits and less time with God. My hope is to make an intentional change in my daily time with God that will go beyond the 21 days and be a lasting life change.

I'm not saying the idea of a community fast is bad or wrong, I'm just feeling for me that unless God has instructed me to fast, doing so is like Samuel offering a sacrifice when all the Lord wanted was obedience. For the remaining fast I plan to be obedient to God, the vision he gave me before the fast and anything else he instructs me to.

And may my heart become like David's. 2 Samuel 7:22 How great are you O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears.
Thanks, Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment