Monday, February 6, 2012

All-Church Fast 2012

It's that time of year again! Cornerstone church is participating in our annual all-church fast. I'm really looking forward to this year, even more than years past, for some reason. I'm anxious to spend some significant dedicated time to prayer during these next three weeks, some time really listening to what God has to say.

The last couple years I have fasted from lunch during the week. This year, I'm changing things up. I am giving up my caffeine during the day, and for those of you that know me, you know that's a significant thing. Not that I always need my cup of coffee, or 5 hour energy, or anything, but you will often find me with a Coke Zero in my hand, on my desk, or within reaching distance. My hope is that every time I think about getting one, I will be prompted to spend some prayer time instead. And if every day is like today has been, that is going to amount to quite a bit of time.

For me that time will be spent praying for the individual members of our congregation, and also time listening for where God is leading us to next. I feel a little like we are leaping from stone to stone across a river, and we're watching for God to show us the next stone in the line.

Some of that has already occurred, as people have heard God's voice in their own lives. I have had a number of conversations with people who have a heart for doing ministry, or for being the church out in the community. I'm already excited to see how God is moving among his people.

If you'd like to share, feel free to leave comments below about what God is pushing you to set aside for the next three weeks. How can we pray for each other along the way? And what do you hope to hear from him?

1 comment:

  1. I have given up my sleep aid Ambien. I have taken it for over 6 years and just really felt God was telling me it was time to give it up. I have had a few issues with it but all in all it's not been that difficult. I know God is helping me and I will kick this addiction! Next it's diet pepsi. It's got to go!!

    ReplyDelete