Friday, February 10, 2012

Obedience and Expectation

One of the things I look forward to each day during my commute is listening to the radio—to listen to the news, enjoy the lively banter between the hosts, and get updates on the weather and traffic every 10 minutes! I never drive without it. So I decided that turning off the radio would be part of my fast. I would try to stay in conversation with God, focusing on praise or gratitude or intercession. And I would use the words of favorite hymns to worship when my own prayers began to drift.

I would love to be able to report that I’ve heard from God or received new insights. So far, that has not happened. Perhaps as we go further into the fast, I will have spiritual insights to pass on. Right now, I see my participation in the fast as an act of obedience with an expectation that God will meet me there regardless of whether or not I hear Him. And for now I have found that I am seeing Him from a larger perspective than I do when I sit at home to pray. (Being less introspective is always a plus!) I have been taking more time to pray for our church as a whole, for the pastors, for our Leadership Team and for individuals in our body. I arrive at work with the joyful sense that I have been in a delightful carpool with a dear Friend.

Cornerstone friends, I do pray that this time of fasting will create in all of us a thirst for a closer walk with Jesus. May God bless your obedience to this call to fasting and seeking Him, and may we become a church that finds her greatest joy in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment